Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good,
and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?
Do not even pagans do that?
Have you ever tried to regularly pray for someone like that?
I've tried it. And I was blessed for doing so.
1) It helped get rid of any negative inside chatter I was regularly rehearsing about that person in my head.
2) It replaced contempt with seeds of appreciation for that person.
3) It removed seeds of bitterness in my own heart.
4) It put restraint on my words and attitude when around that person.
5) It filled me with peace and a clear conscience.
6) It reflected Christ.
The next time your thoughts begin to dwell on the difficult person in your life, stop and pray for him or her.
Easier said than done? Stop and consider...
Jesus looked at them and said,
"With man this is impossible,
but with God all things are possible."
1) If the person is an enemy, look to many of David's Psalms in which he prays for justice. But then leave the justice completely in God's hands (as David evidenced when he had opportunities to kill King Saul).
2) If the person is difficult to get along with, look to Galatians 5:22. Is the person lacking in one or more fruits of the spirit? Request it on their behalf!
3) Pray Galatians 5:22 for yourself. Pray that God help you exhibit the fruits of the Spirit in your thoughts, attitudes, actions, and words toward that person.